The Lunatic's Cookbook : a Blog of Revelations

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

First : a Declaration of Independence

cartoon by Mr.Fish


Before I start to roll out the next part of this scary story, I think I should first state my position to avoid any confused messages you might get later on, as the next part deals in particular with the sordid business of Religion.

I am an Atheist. Actually, by definition, I am a "Strong" Atheist.

  • I do not believe in God, Gods, Goddesses, Devils, Prophets or Miracles. At all. Trust me on this.
  • I do not believe in Healing Crystals, Pyramid Power, Gaia, or blaaah-blah-blah.
  • I do not believe that 'there must be SOMETHING out there responsible for the Universe'.
  • I do not believe that when you die you go Anywhere. Not Heaven, not Hell, not Limbo, not Asgård, nor even into the Odd Sock Dimension. The End.
In a nutshell, I don't believe a single word ever written about ANY of the above subjects. I do, however, find them all very interesting because of the impact that they have all had on the general Human Condition, and because of the abuse, pain, humiliation, quackery and corruption carried out in the name of Religion.

OK. That's what I don't believe in.

  • I DO believe that most people are profoundly insecure, and are often emotionally lonely and isolated. Sheep-like, they have a craving to be told where to go and what to think so they are accepted by The Herd, because statistically there's Safety in Numbers.
  • I believe that Sheep are easy prey for Predators.
  • I believe that some people will do or say ANYTHING to exert the Power of Life and Death over others - ranging from School Bullies to Presidents to Psychotic Murderers.
  • I believe that Religion gives many people tacit permission to vent their hatred and primal fury on others.
  • I believe Hatred is caused by profound combinations of Guilt, Fear, Envy, Greed and Pain.
  • I believe that everybody has the right to be happy, but not at the expense of others.
  • I believe that everyone has the right to expect Food, Comfort and Shelter, and we have a duty to our species to provide it - unconditionally - to those who cannot provide for themselves.
  • I believe that YOU have the right to believe in anything you like, if it makes you feel better about yourself and gets you through your day without sticking an axe in your neighbour's head - until the first time you have the effrontery to ask ME for money to finance YOUR belief.
  • I believe that you should Know Your Enemy, in all circumstances.
  • I believe that Religion is the Last Refuge of the Scoundrel.
It would be sooo easy to just pull the curtains shut to avoid having to gaze one second longer on the Miserable Mess which is being created all around us by the Criminally Insane and their Criminally Incompetent 'Enablers', but sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "La, LaLa, La-La" twenty-four hours a day until the day you die would be a monumental mistake.

"La, LaLa, La-La" will NOT make it all just go away, and Knowledge once learned cannot be Unlearned: Pandora's Box has been opened, and all that remains at the bottom of the box is Hope.

I also believe that you ignore Religion and the Causes of Religion - and those who have greedily manipulated themselves up the Greasy Pole to get to the Power Centre of ANY religion - at your peril. Especially right NOW.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, and where I'm going to go next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home